Arts & Culture Fund
King County Announces $20 Million in Economic Support for Arts, Culture, and Science Organizations, Independent Music Venues, and Independent Movie Theaters
$19.5-million Arts and Culture Fund to provide relief to the cultural organizations and businesses adversely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, so they can prepare facilities for reopening, bring the people of King County together in a safe environment, and re-employ our cultural workers. By investing recovery funds into the arts and cultural sector, independent live music venues, and independent movie theaters, King County intends to support putting people back to work, attract tourism, create local economic growth opportunities, and revitalize the region.
Grants are available to these categories of cultural organizations:
- Arts, Culture, and Heritage Organizations: $16.5 million for arts, culture, and heritage organizations in King County with last full season pre-COVID-19 annual operating budgets of over $1 million. (Organizations with pre-COVID-19 operating budgets under $1 million may apply for the 4Culture Recovery Funds starting on September 23, 2021).
- Independent Music Venues: $1 million for independently owned and operated music venues that offered, on average, 3 live music shows per week in King County pre-pandemic.
- Science Organizations: $1.5 million for organizations that promote science and nature conservation through education, exhibition, and other programs by public admission in King County.
- Independent Movie Theaters: $500,000 for independently owned and operated movie theaters in King County. Multinational corporations and adult theaters are not eligible to apply.
Grant sizes will vary. Amount awarded will be determined by the number of applications received, the total amount requested by applicants, and the applicant’s evaluation score.
Applications open on September 13 and will remain open until October 18, 2021 at 11:59 PM (PT). A panel will review applications starting on October 19. King County will notify applicants about the status of their request within five weeks of the application closing date.
If you are unsure if your organization or business is eligible for this funding, please check here before filling out your application.
- Apply online between September 13, 2021 and October 18, 2021 (all applications must be received by 11:59 PM PT)
- Complete the application via the links below
- Email questions to email@example.com
- For additional assistance filling out this application, please call (206) 263-1966. An interpreter can be provided. The application is available in multiple languages.
- A preview of the full application is available here.
Allowable Usage of Funds: Grants may be used to reimburse projected revenue loss from business interruption due to COVID-19 for expenditures incurred from July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022 that have not been previously satisfied by another funding source.
- Applicants must provide documentation demonstrating projected revenue losses for the 2021-2022 season compared with the last full pre-COVID season (2018-2019). Awards will be made to help alleviate the projected gap.
- Organizations that do not project a revenue loss for the 2021-2022 season but otherwise have incurred or plan to incur COVID-19 related expenditures to prepare and carry out the season program may receive an award for the expenses related to COVID-19.
- These costs may include payroll and personnel costs necessary to ensure operational continuity, recruitment costs for hiring and training cultural and creative workers, costs of modifications for social distancing compliance, facility upgrades to adhere to public health guidance, (e.g., air filtration, plexiglass barriers), costs of marketing to publicize reopening and associated public health measures, costs of marketing of programs (e.g., performances, films, exhibits, and installations, discounted services), or costs of materials to facilitate safe opening (e.g., personal protective equipment (PPE), test kits, sanitation supplies, markers, signage).
Grant funds may not be used for any expenditures already covered by another federal funding source (e.g., federal grant, subsidized loan, insurance policies of any type of coverage, or any reimbursement or relief program related to or administered by the Small Business Administration “SBA”).
Application Reference Materials: These documents are provided for illustrative purposes only and the County reserves the right to make changes prior to execution, depending on how the funds will be used and any changes in Treasury guidance.
1. Sample CLFR Agreement
2. Sample Grant Pre-Award Forms
3. Sample Grant Reporting Forms
4. Arts & Culture RFA